At M&H Consultants we have seen it all – from data loss disasters to personal password problems. We have been helping small and medium sized companies keep their computer systems “healthy” for almost two decades. The old adage is true that, “To err is human, to really mess things up you need a computer.” Here are a few ways that we humans have “messed things up in regards to business computers.
- Failing to Back Up Data – It is really disheartening when you realize you have lost data that took you days, weeks or even months to gather. All of it can be gone in the blink of an eye due to a power failure, equipment malfunction or natural disaster. Having multiple avenues and regular back ups is the best way to prevent a real disaster.
- Dangerous Downloading – Sure that “free” software program looked great but beware, it may have a virus or Trojan Horse that can severely damage your entire system. Talk to your IT professionals before adding any downloaded material.
- Lacking Protection – Every computer should have anti-malware and anti-virus protections. Having an unprotected system is a sure fire way to open the system up to spyware, malware or all sorts of viruses.
- Forgetting Upgrades and Patches – We see it all the time. Work gets busy so companies forget to install the latest software that may help prevent viruses or use patches that can stop criminals from finding their way into your system.
- Using Unsecured WiFi – If you leave your wifi open or unsecured or, worse yet, use public wifi, you may be opening your systems to cyber criminals.
- Opening Bad Emails or Clicking on Pop Ups – Pup up ads and bogus emails, when clicked on, can harbor spyware and/or malware that when loaded can wreak havoc on your computer system.
- Plug in Without Surge Protection – We have all done this now and again, but the first time a surge fries your hard drive you will always remember to use surge protectors.
If you have done any of these things or any of the thousand other ways you can mess up your system call M&H Consults to help you fix it!