In the last few months cyber crimes have been all over the news with the WannaCry Ransomware and other hacking events. It may seem like millions of miles away from your small business, but small and medium sized companies are just as vulnerable as larger corporations. You wouldn’t leave the door to your office wide open all day and night right? You take reasonable precautions to keep your business safe and secure, so be sure to do the same with your website and online data as well. Here are a few tips to protect your small business from cyber hacking and online dangers.
- Stay Updated – Hacker News online suggests maintaining software and applications that are updated. The newer the updates the better as they will have the latest security.
- Toughen Up Access Control – The admin level of your website is an easy way into everything you do not want a hacker to see. Enforce user names and passwords that can not be guessed. Limit the number of login attempts within a certain time, even with password resets, because email accounts can be hacked as well. Never send login details by email, in case an unauthorized user has gained access to the account.
- Tighten Network Security – Computer users in your office may be inadvertently providing an easy access route to your website servers. Ensure that logins expire after a short period of inactivity. Passwords should be changed frequently.Passwords should be strong and NEVER written down. All devices should be plugged into the network and scanned for malware each time they are attached.
- Back Up Often – Back up your files on a regular basis to avoid losing data in the case of a breach.
- Install the Highest Security – Your business should have the highest security protocols from software to employee protocols. If you have questions on how to protect your small business from cyber crimes call M&H Consultants.